Show/Hide
The "Police to Citizen" (P2C) site and Utility Billing & Property Tax Payment Portal are experiencing an unexpected problem and are unavailable at this time. We are working to resolve the problem quickly and will have service restored soon. Please call the Utility Billing department if you would like to make a payment by phone, 770-641-3759.

Barrington Hall's Buildings & Grounds
Barrington Hall Rear
Barrington Hall
ToursOther Historic Homes
ToursOther Historic Homes
Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
535 Barrington Drive, Roswell, GA, 30075
Directions
Phone: 770-640-3855

Barrington Hall was built for Barrington King by Connecticut born architect/builder Willis Ball. It was one of many public and private buildings in Roswell built by Ball in the popular Greek Revival style. Barrington Hall is surrounded on three sides by a colonnade of 14 Doric columns. Lumber was cut for Barrington Hall in 1837 and allowed to cure for two years. Construction began in 1839 and was complete in 1842. The house remained in the family until 2002.




The House

Restoration of Barrington Hall


The award-winning restoration of Barrington Hall began in 2002 and was completed in 2004. All restoration and rehabilitation work was done to the preservation standards of the Department of the Interior, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Georgia Historic Preservation Division. In 2005, The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation presented Barrington Hall with an award for Outstanding Restoration.

Barrington Hall has been restored as close to its original form as possible. The horsehair plaster walls throughout the house were cracked and severely damaged by fire and water. Craftsmen, skilled in the lost art of plastering, spent seven months restoring the walls, ceilings, and moldings. The original heart pine floors and walnut doors have been refinished. They have not been stained; the rich glow is the true wood color. Many of the doors in the home were originally faux painted, and these doors have also been restored to their original appearance. Doorknobs and hinges throughout the home have been repaired and refinished; they are original to the home.

The Main House


The main house never had any heat or air conditioning. The previous owners spent the cold winter months in two rooms at the rear of the home, huddled in front of the fireplace or room heaters. When restoration began, there were no functional bathrooms in the house, and the electrical wiring was in terrible condition. Barrington Hall now has new central heat and air along with all new plumbing, electrical, and security systems.

In 1970, Katharine Simpson made a detailed list of every item in the home. In this inventory, Miss Katharine described the history and origin of every item in Barrington Hall. Using this list and family letters, Sarah Winner had all the original furnishings and paintings restored. Historical books, letters, photos, china, sterling silver, and other personal items left in Barrington Hall were all donated to the Roswell Historical Society.

Restoration Efforts by Many


Gene Surber, a respected Atlanta architect and member of the Board of Directors for The National Trust for Historic Preservation, led a team of Georgia Tech graduate architecture students who spent five months documenting every architectural component of Barrington Hall. With amazing attention to detail, they documented everything including moldings and exterior brick patterns. The result of their efforts was a thirty-five page set of architectural diagrams which have been accepted by HABS (Historic American Building Survey). HABS is an integral part of the federal government’s commitment to historic preservation. HABS documents are important to American architectural sites and archive their collection at the U.S. Library of Congress, where the architectural drawings are made available to the public.




Barrington Hall Floor Plans


First Floor


First Floor

Second Floor


Second Floor
Floor plans provided by the Historic American Building Survey.




Grounds & Gardens

The History of the Garden


Barrington Hall was built by Barrington King, co-founder of Roswell, Georgia, and was completed in 1842. Barrington's wife, Mrs. Catharine King (1804-1887), designed the first Barrington Hall garden shortly after they moved in. She is thought to have used Frances Minhinette, an English stoneworker to help her with the garden structure.

The Formal Garden


Of the three historic houses in Roswell that are open to the public, Barrington Hall was the only house to have a formal garden. The focus of the property is the formal East Garden containing a boxwood garden screened by a hedge of Bridal Wreath Spirea.

The Top Garden


The top garden has a double ring of American boxwood, filled with flowers that were available in the mid 1800s. The garden leads to four symmetrical lower gardens. A central avenue is marked in the upper gardens with a tunnel of scuppernong grapes over an arbor.

Eva's Garden


The four lower quadrants are being developed to represent the turn of the Victorian era in the late nineteenth century and the roaring twenties and thirties. Barrington's daughter Eva (1837-1923) tended the garden and populated the porch with potted plants. In 1930, Eva's granddaughter Katherine Simpson inherited the house when many more plants were available.

The garden flowers are placed where they were corded to be located. Others are mentioned in letters and have no specific location. One such instance is the "hedge of jonuils" that were mentioned in a letter written by Mr. George Camp in 1854. He doesn't mention the location of the hedge, so we are recreating this as a hedge of daffodils lining the main walkway. Other daffodils are in the boxwood garden and the lower gardens.

Self-Guided Tours


Self-guided tours are available for download or by using a cell phone to call 770-225-2457. The self-guided tours are of the grounds only. All home tours are docent-led.


Barrington Hall is owned and operated by the City of Roswell, Georgia.
535 Barrington Drive, Roswell, GA 30075
770-640-3855