Grounds & Gardens

Print
The History of the Garden
Barrington Hall was built by Barrington King, co-founder of Roswell, Georgia, and was completed in 1842. Barrington's wife, Mrs. Catharine King (1804-1887), designed the first Barrington Hall garden shortly after they moved in. She is thought to have used Frances Minhinette, an English stoneworker to help her with the garden structure.

The Formal Garden
Barrington Hall Garden_t
Of the three historic houses in Roswell that are open to the public, Barrington Hall was the only house to have a formal garden. The focus of the property is the formal East Garden containing a boxwood garden screened by a hedge of Bridal Wreath Spirea.

The Top Garden
The top garden has a double ring of American boxwood, filled with flowers that were available in the mid 1800s. The garden leads to four symmetrical lower gardens. A central avenue is marked in the upper gardens with a tunnel of scuppernong grapes over an arbor.

Eva's Garden
The four lower quadrants are being developed to represent the turn of the Victorian era in the late nineteenth century and the roaring twenties and thirties. Barrington's daughter Eva (1837-1923) tended the garden and populated the porch with potted plants. In 1930, Eva's granddaughter Katherine Simpson inherited the house when many more plants were available.

The garden flowers are placed where they were corded to be located. Others are mentioned in letters and have no specific location. One such instance is the "hedge of jonuils" that were mentioned in a letter written by Mr. George Camp in 1854. He doesn't mention the location of the hedge, so we are recreating this as a hedge of daffodils lining the main walkway. Other daffodils are in the boxwood garden and the lower gardens.

Barrington Garden Newsletter
View Most Recent | View All